1/17/08

Locked out!

Yesterday was a day of days. It was good and then had it's moments. I live in Southern Ca. where the weather is fair and predictable. All up to the last couple of days we've have nice cool/rainy winter weather. But lately it's been hot, dry and the gritty Santa Ana winds have picked up.
*
All this plus recovering from the Holidays have wrecked havoc on my well being. I'm tired, my ears are stuffed up, I'm sneezing and because it's so dry, I'm getting shocked left and right when ever I touch something metal! - Car door, toys, even at the grocery store!
*
But to get back to the title post...I've been telling the Hubby that there is something wrong with the rolling garage door. That a few times in the past, when I hit the button to open it, it rolls all the way up then all the way down. Of course it never does it for him...
*
Well last night was trash night. I opened the garage door and pulled out one can to the curb, as I turned around to get the other one, the garage door was just shutting. For a moment I got a very brief vision of me rolling underneath, like I said, brief.
*
So now that it's shut, I start thinking of all the things I should have-could have done. Maybe shove a small planter under to trigger the sensor, wave a stick under it, something.
*
I first check all the doors, and windows only to find them tightly locked for toddler purposes. Dyllan could not even open the front door since we have a safety knob cover on it to keep him from going out unattended.
*
I then go door to door in our cul-de-sac, dressed in sweats, a grungy shirt and bare feet in search of a phone. I get to use the phone of one neighbor. After not being to reach my hubby by cell, I miraculously remember my in laws home number where I was able to reach him.
While waiting for the hubby to come home, I entertained Dyllan through the front window and tried to think warm thoughts as a evening breeze began to pick up. Brian came home, everything got back to normal and I can only thank god that I did not have something cooking on the stove!

8 comments:

RobinBirdsNest said...

oh my gosh!! That sounds like something that would happen to me! Glad it turned out ok!!

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Oh my gosh! That's scary! Good to hear that everything worked out ok - and thank goodness for the use of the neighbor's phone!

Alison Gibbs said...

What a nightmare. No doubt thinking about all of the 'what if's'.
Maybe now the garage door will get checked.
Alison

Artifax said...

How frightening for you! So glad everything turned out well and that your little guy was safe and sound!

Nothing funny about your emergency event, but I was laughing about the garage thing because ours did the exact same thing! And it never happened to my husband either. He didn't believe me and it was so frustrating, I eventually took screwdriver in hand and went out there and taught myself basic garage door repair :) Girl power! :)

Rosemary said...

OMG Michelle,
I'm glad it turned out OK.
Scary!!!
You better get the garge door checked out.
Thanks for the nice comments on my blog.
Rosemary

Laura Bray said...

Scary! Our neighbors have a house key, so we always have a back-up!

Lori said...

oh my goodness!!! i am so glad that worked out all right, how scary that must have been for you:(


things that are broken never act up for the DH, just ask my car...

Jan Scholl said...

I got locked out one night and no one who I called answered thier phones. the remote would not work. I called the police and told them and they said call family (did that-call hubby at work (he was in China) and just by chance I said I would buy a new battery even tho this one was new. It worked then. I now leave my backdoor open (I would still have to scale a 7 foof fence but better than busting out the front window) you dont leave keys here-too many smart robbers know to look. and I never ever will depend on "family" for anything-

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...