4/05/11

"Everyday (Happy Feeling) Cupcakes!"


Because this months Tuesday Tutorial theme is Spring/Easter, I thought I'd start off with a (mini) cupcake recipe. Not just any recipe but the same cupcake recipe my friends beg me to make for every event! The reason I call this my "Everyday (Happy Feeling) Cupcakes" is because that is just what they are. Mini- Happy delights! You can decorate them up for any occasion, but really...you can also have them everyday. :) Great with a spot of tea!
So lets gets started, shall we?
Approx. 50-60 mini cupcakes. Just right for sharing and having "Happy Un-Birthday" Parties!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 C sweet cream butter - room temp.
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 C cake flour ( found in any generic grocery store)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 C buttermilk
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 C *hot* water
C = Cup, t = teaspoon, T = Tablespoon

Directions:
Note* I don't have a stand alone mixer. I want one but I don't have one. So I usually use a plain hand held electric mixer which works just fine for this recipe. Also because of the simplicity of this recipe, if your butter will not warm to room temp. maybe its a cold rainy day and you are not yet ready to turn on the heat...you can gently nuke the butter in the microwave, just till softened and use a strong whisk to cream the butter and sugar. - like I did when my hand held was acting wonky.

Preheat oven 350* and set out mini cupcake lined pans.
  • Cream butter and sugar.
  • Individually- add the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda.
  • Add the flour- 1/2 C at a time until blended.
  • Add *hot* water last, then blend until smooth.
Use a ladle to spoon the batter into a measuring cup

And pour into each liner at least 3/4 way full. Wipe up any drips so they don't fill the house with a burnt smell while baking.

You should be able to fit at least two full sheets on one rack in your oven.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a tooth pick comes out clean.

Now for the Frosting.
You say you don't like cream cheese, but I guarantee you'll love these!
Ingredients:
  • 8 oz. cream cheese (room temp.)
  • 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 2 T heavy cream (room temp.)
  • 1 T vanilla extract
Directions:
Using your hand held or stand alone mixer-
Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar on low until blended. It may be chunky- this is OK.
Add remaining ingredients one at a time.
Mix at high speed until fluffy.
Chill in fridge for a bit (1 hour) before using on cooled cupcakes.
* The secret to delicious cupcakes is a heavy hand when applying the frosting and a even heavier hand when adding the sprinkles! :)
Decorate. and ENJOY!

Don't those look scrumptious? I bet you could not eat just one!

Yum!
For this week giveaway, I'll be making some "Spring" cupcake picks for the (winner) to decorate their own cupcakes with. Every Tuesday I'll show case a tutorial for Spring/ Easter. On the 1st Tuesday of the following month, I will pick a winner.
The winner will receive ALL 4 projects made from the previous month.
( Please leave your e-mail address in comments or make sure your blog sign in is not private, If I can't reach you easily...you can't win)
~ You still have time to win last months goodies! I will pick a winner before the end of today!
( Just visit and comment on any of my SteamPunk post- see right of blog--->)
Thanks, and good luck!
~Michelle Cummings


3 comments:

Julie McGuffee said...

In England we call cupcakes "buns"...LOL I'll have to make my grandchildren these and I will definitely have some with a cup of tea!

Vic said...

Yum! I think I'll make some with my grandson.

Tami said...

Oh my gosh, those cupcakes look awesome and sure to bring a smile!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...