My crave for oven roasted Cauliflower started during cub scout day camp when one of the den Mothers raved about it during lunch. Since then, I began to obsess about it, salivating at the mere thought of the oven roasted flavor until I spotted some at the market, to which I promptly grabbed a few heads.
I searched many recipes , books and online, till I had the basic gist of how to roast them myself.
Here is my recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as Dyllan and I did. He had 2 helpings!
- 2 Cauliflower heads, trimmed and cut into fairly small pieces
- 1/3 C. Olive oil
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 teaspoons of ground sea salt (about 4 grinds) or table salt according to taste...
- a few grinds of coarse black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, fresh or store bought.
- Oven proof dish, aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place cauliflower in oven proof dish.
- Drizzle olive oil over cauliflower, try to get most pieces.
- Add minced garlic. This can be done by hand or with a garlic press.
- Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle cauliflower with salt and cracker pepper.
...and press down with your palm. If you are new to this technique, please use a wider knife like a chopping blade for your safety.
See how you can easily remove the skins?
If your lemon is thin skinned and hard, nuke it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
To get the juices flowing inside before cutting, you can also roll it on a hard surface with your palm, pushing down as you roll.
How you get the juice out of your lemon is up to you.
There are scores of devices out there. Just be sure to discard the seeds.
If you like extra lemon flavor, you can add the pulp to the dish, just put it near the bottom so it does not burn.
Chop up the rind when done and throw into your garbage disposal.
Don't mix just yet. Cover with the foil and place in the oven.
Takes approximately 15-30 m to roast depending on your cauliflower piece sizes.
After 10 minutes, take out and stir to ensure a even coating of oil and flavor.
Do this every 10 minutes till cauliflower is a golden yellow and looks slightly browned.
Scatter as little or as much of Parmesan cheese as desired and serve immediately.