4/18/14

Hippity Hoppity Steampunk Spring Blog Hop 2014

Welcome to Leslie Rahye's Steampunk Spring Blog Hop!
At the bottom of this post you will see all sorts of creations to do with Spring and Steampunk.
Enjoy!
 I was running low on hair clips for myself so I thought Id make these Steampunk flower hair clips.
Aren't they fantastic?
Here are the supplies I used:
  1. Assorted spring colored fabric.
  2. Embossed faux leather.
  3. Shiny buttons
  4. Metallic gold thread and needle.
  5. Tim Holtz Gears die and Big Shot.
  6. Inka Gold-gold.
  7. Adhesive, permanent pen and pinking shears.
  8. Hair clips.
The base shape of the colored circles is 2".
 I made a pattern from stiff card stock and traced with the permanent pen.
Next I used the pinking shears to cut them out.  I trimmed them slightly to fit the larger gear. I ran the faux leather through my big shot with the gears die.
For the circle under the smaller gear, I just lightly traced the gear onto card stock and used that as my pattern.

To color the gears, I used my finger to apply the gold, rubbing just over the embossed design.

You can tell the difference of before and after from the Inka Gold.

 Here are my shapes.
I used canvas material on the back for when I attach the hair clip.
It's best to cut out different shades of fabric because what might have looked good at first may not near the completion. I must have changed these colors 5 times!
I glued the gears onto their coordinating circles.
Then I secured everything in place with the gold thread and button.
I used alligator hair clips for my Steampunk flowers. You can get alligator clips at beauty supply shops and on Etsy.
Thanks for coming by! I hope you enjoyed my craft!
Happy Spring!



9 comments:

Robin Horasanian said...

Michelle, these are darling. I knew right away from the picture that they were hair clips! Great idea for a little steampunk flair.

Barbara Rankin said...

Fabulous steamy hairclips. Love the final color choices and the embossing on the gears is wonderful.

Regena said...

well, let's see those clips in action. they are too cute not to wear.

Morninglass said...

These are great hair clips. Love your colour choices and the details on the gears.

WhoMom said...

Great idea for hair clips! We use hair clips all the time but I've never considered 'punking them up'. Thanks for sharing today.

Tristan Robin said...

cool idea - would make a good brooch, too!

thanks for the tips!

DIYDesignStudio said...

how imaginative! ThANKS

Lisa Fulmer said...

so cute! great color combos.

Lyneen said...

WOW!! CREATUVE! Love the colors... I would love these as a brooch!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...